I've had a go at making some dinky little cards today for our 'star box' at work - it's a box in which we post notes to our colleagues thanking them for the good stuff they've done. At the moment these notes are usually written on little scraps of paper, so I thought it would be fun to make a bunch of cards to use instead.
I was inspired by the lawn fawn colour inspiration board, and also Simon says stamp's star challenge. This is what I came up with.
The cards are wallet sized and were made using distress ink smooshed on a craft mat and spritzed with water. I stamped the lawn fawn starfish and coloured with pro markers, before die cutting. I added a sentiment, border and glitter and hey presto :)
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday have set the challenge of using plaid this week. When I think plaid, I tend to think Christmas, and since I have been meaning to get started on my Christmas cards much earlier this year, it seemed like a good opportunity.
So here we go...
I used a variety of papers from a do crafts pad, ribbon from crafty ribbons and dies and stamps by lawn fawn.
It's a simple start to what I'm sure will become many, many more Christmas cards for 2017!
I seem to have gone down a very 'beachy' route recently without realising it - must be in need of a holiday!
Anyway, it is hard to resist the lovely beach themed stamps from impression obsession...
I stamped this tranquil scene using archival ink so that the detail would remain when using watercolours. It is coloured with inktense pencils which are another current favourite of mine.
The pencils work fine on their own but adding water to them really brings them to life. I ran the archival pad around the edge of the card to give it a border.
I masked most of the picture and then sprayed with colour bloom for a bit of sheen, added more archival ink and some scribbley bits with the inktense pencils to give the whole thing a slightly antique look.
Next to mount it on to my background. It is my first time playing with a cover a card stamp so naturally there had to be a bit of experimentation before I committed to anything too serious!
Take one - inked up with brushos, spritzed with water, with a paintbrush dragged across for good measure.
Take two - inked with pale blue versa mark pads - no good in this instance but I think it would have been fine if I chose a darker shade of blue.
Take three - using fresco paints applied with cut n dry foam.
Take four - Using distress oxides applied to wet paper.
Plenty of options to choose from but I went with the frescos this time as I liked the way the paint colours blended.
I inked it twice to cover this long thin card. If you want a more subtle join you can avoid inking all the way to the straight edge, however it didn't really matter to me as the join was going to be covered up. I also gave the card a border using more fresco paint applied directly with a sponge.
I laid out a few scraps of paper from my stash which had nice textures to them.
Using an Impression Obsession die I cut a couple of nautical shapes and coated them in alchemy wax...
...and layered them all up together.
I added a couple more die cuts and a few enamel accents to finish it all off.
Naturally it only seemed right to make the card insert and envelope match as well - partially inking the cover a card stamp worked really well for this.
Well, that's all for now!
Impression Obsession stamp - seaside scene
Io Cover a card stamp - clouds
Archival ink - potting soil
Derwent inktense pencils
Impression obsession die - seagulls
Impression obsession die - nautical
Fresco finish paints - turquoise, antarctic, nougat
Colour bloom - sherbet
Cut n dry foam
Alchemy wax - inca gold
Distress oxides - faded jeans, broken china