Thursday, 2 June 2016

The big 100!

As the title suggests this is my 100th blog post since starting on a blogging venture almost a year ago! I make no apologies for the longer length of this post - it's a special one, hopefully with something of interest for everyone!

I start with the previously promised tour of my new craft space. It was high time I had a proper space - no more running up and down the stairs between the craft cupboard and the kitchen table every time I thought of something I needed!


There was a pretty tight budget involved here. We already owned the shelving unit although it wasn't previously in use. The table top and two drawer units came from Ikea along with the shiny new lamp which was the one extravagance. Also new from Ikea were the white magazine boxes giving a total spend of just under £100. The little brown tubs are ones I have been collecting for some while. Riverford send us our veg in them but I thought they would be perfect for all those little bits and pieces! 
The set of drawers immediately to my left contains all the things I need to have 'grab-able.' Top down this is; Ink pads, stationery and sticky things, colouring pens and pencils, glitters, embossing powders and liquid pearls, card blanks, paper pads.


A closer look in a couple of drawers. I'm really enjoying the ink pads laid out in a single layer - so easy to pick the one you want! Nothing is labelled yet to give me time to check it all works and make any changes I need to.


On the shelves the little boxes are filled with all sorts from punches to paints to smaller acrylic stamps. The magazine style white boxes house more stamps, dies, craft magazines and scraps of paper. Wooden stamps are in the mini chests of drawers below so that everything is in reach.

At some point I hope to have a little pin board on the wall in front of my work space and this handy chart will definitely be on it! I found it the other day on the hobby art website along with some others. It's so useful, you colour the squares that you have which not only gives you a quick reference guide to what you own, but also shows the pens true colours. 


Under the shelves are a few more key bits and pieces - scrap book papers, stickers, rub-ons and embellishments stored in the folders and a range of miscellaneous items stored in the giant shoe box. 

Now for the shameful bit. This is my ribbon box :0

I'd love to hear how you all organise your ribbons or if you have any top tips because I'm stumped! some ribbons are on rolls or card and they're fine but it's the really silly scraps that I just haven't got tamed! 

Ok, so that's the tour. Now on to a few cards eh?!

A super simple LIM. I fell out with the inlaid die technique in a big way after my last attempt but when I cut this new Sheena Douglas die it was just crying out for it. It's fair to say the technique and I have made peace again! This is based on the less is more sketch. I'd also like to throw it in the mix for casology's CAS 200 challenge.


I had been wondering how to address the Penny Black Saturday 'Masculine' challenge when I found this PB stickeroos yachting set. I teamed it with papers from Basic Grey and Kanban (fitting with the 2xpapers craft barn challenge) and added some green ribbon layered with the grosgrain ribbon. (For the crafty ribbons masculine challenge)


This one hasn't photographed well but it was another attempt at a shaker card. I mixed a magic potion (ingredients photographed below) masked part of the card and spritzed away. The flamingo is a magazine freebie die backed with some pink paper from the stash and filled with pink beadazzleds. The sentiment is from craftwork cards. I made this card with the allsorts pink challenge, SSS Mask it challenge and SSS monochrome challenge in mind. It was based on the Less is More sketch and suitable for the celebrations at AAA cards.

PHEW, what a long post! I'm glad you stayed with me to the end! TTFN Lou x







17 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your space. And for joining the challenge here at Less is More!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous flamingo shaker, such a novel idea. Thanks for joining in AAA Cards Big Birthday Bash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab yacht card.
    Thanks for joining us at Crafty Ribbons
    Laura
    DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous crafty space! What a great idea to upcycle the Riverford boxes. And what a treat to see three beautiful cards at the end! Love your LIM entry and you have definitely triumphed with the inlaid die technique! Your second card is lovely tranquil colours and has a very calm feel. And the shaker card is awesome! So soft and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely card and a nice tour around your craft space too.
    Thank you for sharing at Allsorts 'In The Pink' challenge and good luck x Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! first up a brilliant take on the sketch Lou, totally appropriate in colour and image and super CAS. WOW again to your gorgeous craft space. It's always fun to peek at other's rooms eh! Gorgeous light and airy. I've also got those metal drawers from Ikea which work brilliantly and store loads considering the size. I'm with you on ribbon. Drives me mad. I gradually collected mason jars from ikea to store them in colours (they are on my 'craft room' page of the blog in the first photo). Having set myself up all coordinated I hardly ever use ribbon now! Duh! But they look gorgeous!!! Thanks for playing along at LIM this week. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. My craft space is so messy - this is making me want to clean up! LOL. I love flamingos, and I really love the way you've colored this one and set him in pink with the pink sentiment. Thanks for playing along with us and celebrating our 2nd birthday at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oj. Czuć w powietrzu zapach wakacji :)
    Bardzo ładna kartka.
    Pozdrawiam
    lin_ka1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just popped by to admire your work and thank you for entering our Pink challenge at Allsorts this week. Welcome back tomorrow for a fresh, new challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your craft organization! Wonderful cards--great masculine design using the Stickeroos & I'm so glad you joined us at PBSC!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So great to see your workspace, Lou. It looks super organised, nice to hear Riverford mentioned too, I work in Totnes where they have a shop. I keep my ribbon scraps in a shallow plastic box which has the small square dividers, I then wrap them round my finger into little rolls and they stay pretty well wound up in the little compartments, hope that helps!
    Loving both your cards, both perfect for our sketch this week.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Anita x
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super fun card and congrats on your 100th post. Thank you so much for playing along with us this week over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lou, I love your craft space...so neat and tidy! Way to reuse the small bins, too...I love that idea! Your CASology card is very cool...I love the two-color card base and the fun image. Very clean and simple! Thanks for joining us at CASology for our 200th challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your craft space is perfect, Lou, and yay to no more running up and downstairs while crafting! All three of your cards our fabulous. That beach chair looks like a lovely place to sit right about now and your flamingo card is gorgeous! Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your "100 milestone" - love your LIM CAS card creation. Perfect for summer! Sweet cards; the flamingo is great as a shaker (thanks for the idea!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are such fun cards! Your space looks great! Thanks so much for playing along with the masking challenge at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm just catching up on commenting, as I was away on a choir tour in chilly Derbyshire last week.
    This is simple and super... and I'm envious of your tidy craft space!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete