Thursday, 14 January 2016

B is for...

This is the challenge that I have been most excited about getting started on. I remember seeing snippets of the Craft Barn's last alphabet/dictionary challenge but I wasn't on the blogger scene back then so this is all new and exciting for me.

It's not being done in alphabetical order and this is the first week, so,

B is for.... buttons... bees...burst....balloons....?
I considered all of these before deciding B is for ....

Butterflies!









I couldn't help myself, Butterflies were the theme for our wedding and I just love them. Whenever I can I photograph butterflies and in my minds eye I had a bit of an idea about what I might do. All I had to do was work out how to make it work!


First off I drew round the definition with my fine liner. I'm really enjoying the fact that my dictionary has the occasional picture in it, and this just happened to be one of them, so I went around that too.


Next I inked all around the edges of the page with tumbled glass distress ink. After that (although not pictured here) I added a bit of bundled sage DI, including inking some through a memory box floral stencil.


I die cut this little memory box garden and butterfly die in a beautiful basic grey paper called blush, and added a little bundled sage DI.

I now set about punching out a LOT of butterflies, as well as cutting round some that occurred on the gorgeous memory box paper 'butterfly ballet' I inked them all randomly with splashes of tumbled glass.
I folded a couple more strips of blush paper and balanced them on the dictionary, then I set about layering up the butterflies, balancing them one on top the other and sticking with a strong adhesive.


I stamped one of the stamps from the Little Claire's butterfly tree set in both lower corners of the pages and coloured with watercolour pencils.

A few more embellishments followed, including some punched flowers and spots of liquid pearls, and there you have it, week one of the dictionary challenge! It just about works as a pop up page but I am very cautious opening it!



I used the following materials for this make;

Distress ink; tumbled glass, bundled sage.
Versa colour; Neptune
Inkssentials blender
Memory box stencil; Garden floral confetti
Memory box die; Garden and butterflies (actual name unknown!)
Basic Grey paper; Blush, Admire
Memory box paper; Minuet, Butterfly Ballet
Woodware Butterfly punch small and medium
Little Claires stamps; Butterfly Tree
Derwent; Watercolour pencils
Liquid pearls; Garnet
Stickles; Eucalyptus


As well as the Craft Barn challenge, I would also like to enter this in
The Butterfly challenge (Butterflies and ink) 
Stamping sensations - anything with a die


21 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness a perfect little work of art. Welcome to my Butterfly challenge Lou. Lovely to see you. I did the challenge the first time round and was going to sit it out this time but think I might join in again as I have a thought on how to do my pages this yr. Thankyou for fluttering by my ink challenge. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness me Lou, this is so unusual and so very pretty, many thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations challenge.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your dimensional approach to The Craft Barn challenge. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning!!! You are one clever lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was lovely to begin with, but the pop up butterflies are just so beautiful and add a dynamic element to make this a superb page. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative - and pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word, this is totally inspired! I love the pop up butterflies, a great piece of artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful work of art, a huge amount of work but so worthwhile to create this beauty x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is absolutely stunning and definitely looks like a winner to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's SO pretty, brilliantly done. Great to have the pop up element xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was BLOWN AWAY by your choice for this first entry at Craft Barn. This is absolutely stunning and extremely impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is fabulous, so pretty and so clever too.

    Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations this month

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG. This is fantastic. I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So delicate! A lovely start to the challenge this year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this is so beautiful. It looks stunning, love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. butterflies are my favorite too, how awesome is that pop up page.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful creation! Thanks for playing along at Craft Stamper Take It, Make it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm missing words, how cool is this. Just outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! What a fabulous little project! Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper challenge ..... Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. An amazing start to the 2016 challenge.

    ReplyDelete